When making a radicchio salad it is important to ensure that you balance flavors. Radicchio can taste very bitter to some, however if you combine with the right ingredients and textures, this salad becomes incredibly more-ish! Radicchio should always be prepared with other sweet ingredients, so we have added tangy granny smith apples and a good balsamic dressing. The texture in the salad comes from the crunchy toasted almonds and creamy, but slightly salty gorgonzola cheese.
Did we mention that radicchio is really good for you? It is full of antioxidants, assists with weight loss, provides lots of energy and vitamins in regulating digestion and lowering cholesterol, let’s not forget, it also looks great on the plate!
- 1 x radicchio
- 1 x granny smith apple
- 3/4 cup roasted almonds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 60 grams gorgonzola (blue cheese)
- 2 tbs balsamic (ensure to use a good quality balsamin… always!)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper to season
- Finely slice the radicchio into thin strips. A mandolin slicer can be used, and add on to a flat plate.
- Finely slice the apple into thin strips and mix into the radicchio.
- Roughly chop the roasted hazelnuts and add on top.
- Crumble the gorgonzola cheese on top
- In a small bowl add the balsamic and lemon juice with a shake of salt and pepper and mix.
- Add the dijon mustard and olive oil and whisk until dressing turns thick.
- Pour over the salad or place as a side and dress a little later.